Monday, February 6, 2012

Dear Emilie

Dear Emilie,

As we get closer and closer to your first birthday I can't help but think back to what things were like a year ago leading up to your birth, and how much has changed since that day.

I am constantly amazed by your transformation over the last 11 months. Even before I was pregnant with you I always thought how magical the first year is. How this tiny little being goes from being completely dependent on parents for everything, to this (possibly) walking and talking little person! Watching you this transformation has been even more amazing.

Those nights in the beginning when I would be up multiple times during the night to feed and soothe you I would just stare at your little face. You would turn your head just so and I could see little glimpses of the little girl that you would become. Now it seems like every day there is something new you are discovering and learning. Not to mention I swear you grow overnight! Now I can see those changes that were just glimpses months ago. They make me so happy, and so sad all at the same time. Happy that you are this smart, daring, energetic, beautiful little girl. Sad because everyday you are one day older, one day further from that tiny, helpless little baby that I held in the hospital.

Sometimes when you start to cry in the middle of the night, I go to your room just a little happy that even though you're my little big girl so desperate to conquer the world, you still need your Mama. I rock you in your glider and you snuggle into my arms the same way you always have, and even though your legs are starting to hang over my lap, you are still my little girl.

Love,
Mama


No comments:

Post a Comment